My name is Isabella Lindsey, and I am a participant in the Elementary PDP Program at the University of Victoria. My Bachelor’s degree was a double major in Philosophy and Environmental Studies, and I am grateful for how this combination has shaped the way I think. I was born in Brazil, but grew up in British Columbia. Home, to me, is many places.

I am extremely passionate about movement. I love to exercise as often, and in as many ways, as I can. I believe that physical activity creates more lively, loving, and intelligent humans. Physical movement has connected me with myself, and taught me a lot about the person I strive to be. My newfound obsession with golf has reminded me how it feels to be a beginner. It is frustrating and disheartening at times. As we move forward in learning, however, we must always meet ourselves where we are, rather than where we wish we could be. When learning something new, we should be motivated to keep showing up, so we can be better than the day before.

As teachers, we strive to model empathy and curiosity, and encourage students to understand the feelings of those around them. I would like to cultivate confidence, independence, open-mindedness, and kindness, to inspire students to build and foster healthy relationships. I am very interested learning how to foster compassion between students, and how this contributes positively to the classroom dynamic. I hope to learn how to teach kindness and empathy in an effective way, that will create caring individuals, and a stronger community. I am excited to bring out the best in each learner, and ensure that each student feels capable and passionate about their learning.

I am perhaps a little too wary of technology at times. I worry it may have negative effects on our mental, physical, and social well being if it is embraced too enthusiastically. That said – I will use my understanding of technology for good, and to deepen and enhance learning and networking opportunities for both myself and students.