A PNW (Aspiring) Teacher's Journey

Social Media: Like Drinking From a Fire Hose

Oh goodness… as if there were not enough things in the real tangible world to be attending to, and distracted by. I myself am constantly overwhelmed by it, and I can see clearly how it is not always good for my mental health. Yet I continue to entertain social media, and use technology, and to feel like I am missing out on something if I go too long without it. However, if I make a conscious effort to avoid it for a day or two, the habit of constantly checking it goes away, and I feel little desire to see what is going on on Instagram or Facebook, because I realize with more clarity that if there is anything I need to know, the people in my life will tell me.

I worry about going into teaching when a surplus of information and prioritizing online social status is the reality for students. The prevalence of social media and technology is almost a necessity. It all becomes essential and central to their lives when they are extremely young. To generalize and sympathize – it’s all very overwhelming. To call back to the title of this ramble… trying to quell the potentially negative effects technology and social media can have on our well-being, while trying to “stay on top of it” feels like drinking out of a fire hose.

Other major issues are considerations not just of privacy, but of professionalism. Educators have the unique role of working constantly with children, and one’s past posts and behaviours are unfortunately often documented indefinitely, even from years and years before. I certainly never considered when I was 14 and started using Facebook that everything I did, said, and posted could be kept on there forever. One fear I have is that when the odd difficult parent (that would dislike even the kindest and most capable teacher) dislikes someone, that they will go looking for something to complain about regarding that teacher’s private life, via an old documented online presence. All we can do is be kind, appropriate, and reasonable! And use strict privacy settings….

Photo by Tyler Nix on Unsplash

« »